Sat, Jan 07|
Brinton Environmental Center
Planting Hope: Big Munson Island Restoration
Registration has reached max capacity for this event but no worries, we've got new events coming soon. Check back or join our mailing list to be notified when new events are posted!
Time & Location
Jan 07, 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Brinton Environmental Center, 23800 Overseas Hwy, Summerland Key, FL 33042, USA
About The Event
Make plans now to join Coastlove, Sea Base, and locals with deep ties, for an adventuresome island restoration where we will plant Green Buttonwoods on Big Munson Island on January 7th!
Big Munson Island was home to a well established, old growth hammock prior to Hurricane Irma in 2017. Since then the island has struggled with erosion, especially during storms like Ian. Island restoration began in 2022 and we are continuing those efforts in 2023. Join us to kick-off the year right and help restore a vital part of our coastal community.
Parking & Directions:
Please arrive at the Brinton Environmental Center for check in at 9 am. Parking is open and we will take a short 30 minute boat ride to Big Munson Island. Special thanks to Sea Base for providing our boat transportation!
- All supplies, including planting tools, reusable bags, gloves and water will be provided.
- Be prepared for the 30 minute boat ride, to and from, the island.
- Expect to wade in waste-deep water to get onto the island.
- Wear clothes and pack bags that can get wet.
- Wear shoes that strap to your feet. Flip-flops are discouraged. Closed toe shoes are highly recommended.
- Reef safe sunscreen.
- Bug spray and/or wear long sleeves and pants.
- Change of clothes, if you prefer. Not required.
- A reuseable bottle for refilling. We will not be handing out bottles of waters or cups.
Special thanks to our local partners Sea Base and Tree Stock Source for making this project possible!